China Travel information


China is located in Eastern Asia.

Official language is Chinese. China uses metric system (kilograms, centimeters, °C). Time zone is from UTC+06:00 to UTC+08:00.

Sockets & plugs

Adapter required, transformer not needed

China uses 220V, 50Hz with sockets and plugs Type A, Type C and Type I.

Type A
Type C
Type I



¥1.00 = €0.13, €1.00 = ¥7.48

China uses the Chinese yuan (symbol: ¥), code CNY.

Banknotes come in denominations of 100, 50, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 yuan and 50, 20 and 10 fens. Yuan is subdivided into 100 fens. Coins come in denominations of 1 yuan and 50, 10, 5, 2 and 1 fens.

Credit & debit cards

Accepted only within large businesses

Credit cards are only accepted within China from large businesses & hotels. Visa, MasterCard, Maestro and UnionPay are the most widely accepted. Discover and American Express are less common. Diners Club is pretty rare. JCB and RuPay are unknown.

Note that even if you have appropriate card type, international credit cards (issued outside China) have low acceptance within merchants.


Do not tip

Almost no one in China asks for tips. It is not expected nor obligatory to give a tip. Receipts might sometimes include a service charge.



Automatic teller machines are common in China. You can usually find them in both large & small cities.

You do not need a chip & PIN card to use an ATM — your standard magnetic card will work fine.



66% slower than in Spain

Internet speed in China is on average 4.1 Mbps which is 66% slower than in Spain (12.1 Mbps).


WiFi coverage in China is low. It is not as easy to find one.

Blocked sites

Majority of the websites (including Google, YouTube and Facebook) are blocked in China meaning you will need to use special software called VPN to access those blocked sites. Read more to get the most popular ones.

Mobile phone

72% cheaper than in Spain

You can buy a SIM card for about ¥52.92 (€7.06), which includes 1 GB of data plan. You can choose from 3 telecoms: China Mobile (中国移动), China Telecom (中国电信) or China Unicom (中国联通).

Mobile phones

China uses similar GSM mobile networks (GSM 900 and GSM 1800) as Spain so you should be able to normally use your mobile phone.


If you don't want to buy SIM card in China upon arrival, make sure to check the roaming charges with your telecom provider before your departure so there are no surprises when you return home.

Dial code


To call China from Spain, dial + or 00 (exit code for Spain), then 86 (the country code for China), then the area code (without the initial 0) and the local number.

Calling from Spain
+  86 10 1234567
00 86 10 1234567
Local call
010 1234567

For local calls within China, start with the area code (with the initial 0). In the case above area code is 10 .

Health & safety


Vaccinations listed are recommended

The following vaccinations listed for this country are recommended for your protection and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.

Hepatitis A
Routine immunizations
Typhoid fever

These apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.

Yellow Fever
Hepatitis B
Japanese Encephalitis

Travel advisories

No country advisories
World-wide advisories

Advisories that are issued on a world-wide level (may not be related to China).


Road rules

In China you drive on the right side. Most cars have manual transmission (stick).

Speed limits

Unless otherwise posted, the speed limits for cars and motorcycles are as follows: 100-120 km/h (62-74 mph) on motorways, 100-120 km/h (62-74 mph) on expressways, 30-60 km/h (18-37 mph) in all built-up areas and 60-80 km/h (37-49 mph) on undivided highways.

Turn on red

Right turn on red lights is allowed unless a sign explicitly forbids it.


It is illegal to drive with blood alcohol content higher than 0.02%.

Driving license

Local China license is required

You cannot drive with an International Driving Permit (IDP) in China. You need a local China license to drive.


Emergency numbers

Fire department

Embassy of Spain in China

9 San Li Tun Lu, Chaoyang Qu, Beijing Shi, China, 100001