Portugal Sockets & plugs

Sockets & plugs

Portugal uses 230V, 50Hz with sockets and plugs Type C and Type F.

Type C
Type F

Adapters and transformers

Adapter required, transformer optional
Sockets & plugs

Sockets/plugs in Portugal are completely different than in United States so you will need an adapter. You can buy one from Amazon which supports wide variety of sockets/plugs, not just the ones for Portugal.

Universal adapter
by Ceptics
Buy on

Frequency difference (60 Hz in United States vs 50 Hz in Portugal) is generally not a problem - almost all items (except some types of clocks) will work on both and you shouldn't worry about it.


Although Portugal uses 230V (which is different voltage than in United States) you probably won't need a transformer/converter if you use recent devices and appliances because they all work worldwide automatically.

However, to make sure you don't need one - use the Device type guide to determine the type of your device. If you have a single-voltage device rated at 120V you will need a transformer transformer/converter. Click here to find out which one you need. If you don't have such device - congratulations, you are good to go with just an adapter.

Device type

Devices can be single-voltage, dual-voltage and multi-voltage.


These devices support only 100V, 110V or 230V. Single-voltage devices require a converter/transformer if used in country with different voltage than stated on the label. Quite rare today. Usually reserved for cheaper old appliances.


These devices support both 110V and 230V or 100V and 230V but usually require you to manually flip the switch to use the proper voltage. Sample appliances are hair dryers, steam irons, hair irons, electric toothbrushes, etc. Not switching a dual-voltage device to the proper voltage before you use it can result in severe damage of the appliance.


These devices support a range of voltages from 100 to 240V. Multi-voltage devices will work worldwide automatically. Most of today's electronics (laptops, phone chargers etc.) are multi-voltage.

Detecting device type

To find out what is your type of device search for the label on the device (or the plug of the device) which starts with word "INPUT". It's usually in small print.

  • if the label states 100-240V, 50/60 Hz the device is multi-voltage
  • if the label states 110V/240V, 50/60 Hz the device is dual-voltage
  • if the label states 110V, 50 Hz or 240V, 60 Hz the device is single-voltage

Transformer or a converter?

In short - if you have at least one single-voltage electronic device rated at 110V (computers, printers, microwaves, battery charging etc. anything with a chip) or you will connect devices rated at higher-voltage to lower-voltage socket you must use the transformer, otherwise use the converter. Transformers are heavier, bulkier and more expensive, while converters are lighter, simpler and cheaper.


More common scenario, if you will only connect single-voltage electric devices (hair dryers, steam irons, shavers, toothbrushes etc. any heating device or something with motors) rated at lower-voltage than the socket (such as US device in UK) you can use just the converter. Converters are not designed for “continuous duty” and should only be used for short periods of time (1 to 2 hours) and must be unplugged from the wall when not in use. Pay attention to wattage requirements.

2000W converter 220V to 110V
by Bonazza
Buy on

Unusual scenario can occur due to majority of today's electronics being multi-voltage, however, if you will connect single-voltage electronic devices rated at 110V (computers, printers, microwaves, battery charging etc. anything with a chip) you must use the transformer.

There are two different types of transformers: step-up and step-down. Usually, they are combined within single transformer. Step-up is used when you will plug higher-voltage device into lower-voltage socket (such as UK device into US socket). Step-down is used when you will plug lower-voltage device into higher-voltage socket (such as US device into UK socket).

In this case, you would need a step-down transformer because you will be plugging lower-voltage device (120V, United States) into higher-voltage socket (230V, Portugal). That being said, both transformers below are step-up & step-down in single package. Pay attention to wattage requirements.

transformer 500W
by Goldsource
Buy on
transformer 2000W
by Goldsource
Buy on
Wattage requirements

When buying transformer/converter, pay attention to wattage (power rating) requirements. Wattage of the transformer/converter must be at about 25% higher then the appliance's voltage. You can find out the appliance wattage by reading it on the device itself (search for W unit). Take a look at the guidelines for the common wattage requirements:

  • 100W - small fans, printers
  • 300W - TVs, electric blankets, refrigerators, desktop computers
  • 500W - blenders, projectors
  • 1000W - small heaters
  • 1600-2000W - hair dryers, dishwashers, washing machines, vacuum cleaners, toasters, deep-frying pans, irons, grills, coffee makers
  • 3000W - tumble dryers, air-conditioners

Sometimes the label will only state voltage and amperage and in that case just multiply those numbers together to get the wattage (ex. 230V * 2A = 460W). If the amperage is in mA (miliamps), divide the number by 1,000 to get the A (amps).

0 tips
Latest Top
Be the first to add a tip for Portugal.
or see all tips


Universal adapter
by Ceptics
Buy on

Luggage scale
by Tarris
Buy on

Inflatable pillow
by Purefly
Buy on

Portable charger
by Anker
Buy on