Thailand Travel information


Thailand is located in South-Eastern Asia.

Official language is Thai. Thailand uses metric system (kilograms, centimeters, °C). Time zone is UTC+07:00.

Passport & visa

Visa not required

Visa is not required to visit Thailand as a tourist for a stay up to 30 days. If you want to stay more - you will need a visa.

More info

For more information please contact Embassy of Thailand in Spain.

Sockets & plugs

Adapter required, transformer not needed

Thailand uses 230V, 50Hz with sockets and plugs Type A, Type B, Type C and Type F.

Type A
Type B
Type C
Type F



1.00 THB = €0.020, €1.00 = 38.61 THB

Thailand uses the Thai baht (symbol: ฿), code THB.

Banknotes come in denominations of 1000, 500, 100, 50 and 20 baht. Baht is subdivided into 100 satangs. Coins come in denominations of 10, 5, 2 and 1 bahts and 50, 25, 10, 5 and 1 satangs.

Cost of living

14% more expensive than in Spain
Meal (inexpensive restaurant)
€1.42 (55.00 THB)
Meal (2 people, mid-range, three-course)
€15.53 (600.00 THB)
Water bottle (1.5 liter bottle)
€0.41 (15.89 THB)
Beer (0.5 liter bottle)
€1.37 (53.15 THB)
One-way ticket (local transportation)
€0.51 (20.00 THB)
Gasoline (1 liter)
€0.70 (27.22 THB)

Source: Numbeo


Very common

Automatic teller machines are very common in Thailand. You can find them in both large & small cities, tourist areas etc.

You do not need a chip & PIN card to use an ATM — your standard magnetic card will work fine.


Not expected, but can leave extra tip

Tipping is usually not expected in Thailand. However, if you are satisfied with the service provided you can show your appreciation by leaving a small ‘extra’ tip.



24% slower than in Spain

Internet speed in Thailand is on average 9.3 Mbps which is 24% slower than in Spain (12.1 Mbps).


WiFi coverage in Thailand is moderate. It's relatively easy to find one when needed.

Mobile phone

62% cheaper than in Spain

You can buy a SIM card for about 346.95 THB (€8.98), which includes 1 GB of data plan. You can choose from 3 telecoms: AIS, TrueMove H or dtac.

Mobile phones

Thailand uses similar GSM mobile networks (GSM 1800, GSM 1900 and GSM 900) as Spain so you should be able to normally use your mobile phone.


If you don't want to buy SIM card in Thailand upon arrival, make sure to check the roaming charges with your telecom provider before your departure so there are no surprises when you return home.

Dial code


To call Thailand from Spain, dial + or 00 (exit code for Spain), then 66 (the country code for Thailand), then the area code (without the initial 0) and the local number.

Calling from Spain
+  66 2 1234567
00 66 2 1234567
Local call
02 1234567

For local calls within Thailand, start with the area code (with the initial 0). In the case above area code is 2 .

Health & safety


Moderate crime rate

Thailand has a moderate crime rate (higher than Spain). Take precautions to avoid mugging, bag snatching and pickpocketing. Be particularly vigilant at airports, railway stations and crowded public gatherings. Do not leave valuables unattended.


It's recommended to follow security precautions like wearing a money belt, leaving valuables in your hotel room safe or well out of sight, securing your bag, staying vigilant in crowds and steering clear of commotions.


Vaccinations listed are recommended

The following vaccinations listed for this country are recommended for your protection and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.

Hepatitis A
Typhoid fever

These apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.

Hepatitis B
Japanese Encephalitis

Travel advisories

No country advisories
World-wide advisories

Advisories that are issued on a world-wide level (may not be related to Thailand).


Road rules

In Thailand you drive on the left side. Most cars have manual transmission (stick).

Speed limits

Unless otherwise posted, the speed limits for cars and motorcycles are as follows: 120 km/h (74 mph) on motorways, 60 km/h (37 mph) in all built-up areas, 90 km/h (55 mph) on undivided highways and 90-120 km/h (55-74 mph) on expressways.

Driving license

IDP is required

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is required alongside your original license. IDP can be issued by your local automobile association before you leave home.

Rent a car

In order to rent a car:

  • you must be over 25
  • must hold a full license for at least a 1 year
  • almost always have a credit card (Visa & MasterCard are the best)
Alcohol, drugs & prostitution



Minimum age to purchase and drink alcohol is 20 years old.


Cannabis is illegal & criminalized

Drugs (including cannabis/marijuana) are illegal & criminalized which means you are risking jail time with other penalties (fine, community service, rehabilitation) if you are caught.


Semi-legal (only paying for the services)

Even though prostitution (offering services) is illegal, there is usually no fine for you as a client because consuming prostitution is not illegal per se. Brothels are illegal.


Emergency numbers

Fire department

Embassy of Spain in Thailand

Lake Rajada Ofice Complex. Piso 23, Suite 98-99., 193 Rajadapisek Road, Klongtoey. Bangkok 10110.