United Kingdom Travel information

United Kingdom

United Kingdom is located in Norther Europe.

Official language is English. United Kingdom uses metric system (kilograms, centimeters, °C). Time zone is UTC+00:00 with daylight saving time.

Sockets & plugs

Adapter required, transformer optional

United Kingdom uses 230V, 50Hz with socket and plug Type G.

Type G



£1.00 = $1.28, $1.00 = £0.77

United Kingdom uses the British pound (symbol: £), code GBP.

Banknotes come in denominations of 100, 50, 20, 10 and 5 pounds. Pound is subdivided into 100 pence. Coins come in denominations of 2 and 1 pounds and 50, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 pence.

Credit & debit cards

Widely accepted

Credit cards are widely accepted within United Kingdom (at hotels, shops, and restaurants, travel agencies, car-rental agencies etc.). Maestro, MasterCard and Visa are the most widely accepted. American Express is less common. Diners Club is pretty rare. Discover, JCB, RuPay and UnionPay are unknown.


Not expected, but can leave extra tip

Tipping is usually not expected in United Kingdom. However, if you are satisfied with the service provided you can show your appreciation by leaving a small ‘extra’ tip. Receipts might sometimes include a service charge. If there is a service charge there is no need to tip.


Available everywhere

Automatic teller machines (local name: cash machines) are everywhere in United Kingdom. Pretty much anywhere you look there will be an ATM. United Kingdom has one of the highest ATM densities in the world.

You do not need a chip & PIN card to use an ATM — your standard magnetic or chip & signature card will work fine.



3% slower than in United States

Internet speed in United Kingdom is on average 13.9 Mbps which is 3% slower than in United States (14.2 Mbps).


WiFi coverage in United Kingdom is very high. Most hotels, hostels, cafes, restaurants and bars have it.

Mobile phone

1% more expensive than in United States

You can buy a SIM card for about £12.81 ($16.44), which includes 1 GB of data plan. You can choose from 4 telecoms: 3 (Three), EE (Everything Everywhere), O2 or Vodafone.

Mobile phones

United Kingdom uses different GSM mobile networks than United States so check if your mobile phone supports network technologies in United Kingdom .


If you don't want to buy SIM card in United Kingdom upon arrival, make sure to check the roaming charges with your telecom provider before your departure so there are no surprises when you return home.

Dial code


To call United Kingdom from United States, dial + or 011 (exit code for United States), then 44 (the country code for United Kingdom), then the area code (without the initial 0) and the local number.

Calling from United States
 +  44 121 1234567
011 44 121 1234567
Local call
0121 1234567

For local calls within United Kingdom, start with the area code (with the initial 0). In the case above area code is 121 .

Health & safety


No vaccinations are required to enter this country

No vaccinations are required to enter the country, but it is recommended to perform routine immunizations for your protection and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.

Routine immunizations

These apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.

Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B

Travel advisories

No country advisories
World-wide advisories

Advisories that are issued on a world-wide level (may not be related to United Kingdom).


Road rules

In United Kingdom you drive on the left side. Most cars have manual transmission (stick).

Speed limits

Unless otherwise posted, the speed limits for cars and motorcycles are as follows: 113 km/h (70 mph) on motorways, 113 km/h (70 mph) on expressways, 48 km/h (29 mph) in all built-up areas and 97 km/h (60 mph) on undivided highways.

Turn on red

Left turn on red lights is strictly forbidden unless an additional green semaphore arrow allows it.


It is illegal to drive with blood alcohol content higher than 0.08%.

On the road


Petrol (unleaded) gas options are called Super unleaded (98), Unleaded (95) or petrol. Petrol costs about £1.27 ($1.63) per liter.

Diesel option is called Diesel. Diesel costs about £1.30 ($1.66) per liter.

Petrol stations

Most popular petrol stations in United Kingdom are Asda, BP, Esso, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Shell and Tesco.

Traffic news

Road assistance is available at 0800 88 77 66 (Automobile Association AA) or 0333 2000 999 (RAC). For general news on United Kingdom's traffic use Automobile Association (AA), Highways England or Traffic England. For news on United Kingdom’s motorways and tolls use M6 toll, Transport for London or UK Toll Roads.

Driving license

IDP is required

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is required alongside your original license. IDP can be issued by your local automobile association before you leave home.


Emergency numbers

Fire department

Embassy of United States in United Kingdom

7US, 33 Nine Elms Ln, London SW8 5DB, UK