United States Travel information

United States

United States is located in Northern America.

Official language is English. United States uses United States customary system (very similar to imperial - pounds, feet, F). Time zone is from UTC-10:00 to UTC-05:00 with daylight saving time.

Sockets & plugs

United States uses 120V, 60Hz with sockets and plugs Type A and Type B.

Type A
Type B


Washington, D.C. has an average temperature of 19.5°C. Warmest month is August with 32°C and coldest January with 5°C.



United States uses the United States dollar (symbol: $), code USD.

Banknotes come in denominations of 100, 50, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 dollars. Dollar is subdivided into 100 cents. Coins come in denominations of 1 dollars and 50, 25, 10, 5 and 1 cents.

Cost of living

Meal (inexpensive restaurant)
Meal (2 people, mid-range, three-course)
Water bottle (1.5 liter bottle)
Beer (0.5 liter bottle)
One-way ticket (local transportation)
Gasoline (1 liter)

Source: Numbeo

Credit & debit cards

Widely accepted

Credit cards are widely accepted within United States (at hotels, shops, and restaurants, travel agencies, car-rental agencies etc.). Visa, MasterCard, Maestro and Discover are the most widely accepted. American Express and JCB are less common. Diners Club is pretty rare. UnionPay and RuPay are unknown.


Available everywhere

Automatic teller machines (local name: ATM) are everywhere in United States. Pretty much anywhere you look there will be an ATM. United States has one of the highest ATM densities in the world.

You do not need a chip & PIN card to use an ATM — your standard magnetic card will work fine.


Expected to tip

Tipping is expected in United States since staff depend on tips to supplement their often minimum wages.



Internet speed in United States is on average 14.2 Mbps.


WiFi coverage in United States is very high. Most hotels, hostels, cafes, restaurants and bars have it.

Mobile phone

You can buy a SIM card for about $16.32, which includes 1 GB of data plan. You can choose from 4 telecoms: T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T or Verizon Wireless.

Mobile phones

United States uses GSM mobile networks GSM 850 and GSM 1900.


If you don't want to buy SIM card in United States upon arrival, make sure to check the roaming charges with your telecom provider before your departure so there are no surprises when you return home.

Dial code


To call United States, dial +, then 1 (the country code for United States), then the area code (without the initial 1) and the local number.

International call
+ 1 1234567
Local call
1 1234567
Health & safety


Moderate crime rate

United States has a moderate crime rate . Take precautions to avoid mugging, bag snatching and pickpocketing. Be particularly vigilant at airports, railway stations and crowded public gatherings. Do not leave valuables unattended.


It's recommended to follow security precautions like wearing a money belt, leaving valuables in your hotel room safe or well out of sight, securing your bag, staying vigilant in crowds and steering clear of commotions.


No vaccinations are required to enter this country

No vaccinations are required to enter the country, but it is recommended to perform routine immunizations for your protection and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.

These apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.

Hepatitis B

Travel advisories

No country advisories
World-wide advisories

Advisories that are issued on a world-wide level (may not be related to United States).


Road rules

In United States you drive on the right side. Most cars have automatic transmission.

Speed limits

Unless otherwise posted, the speed limits for cars and motorcycles are as follows: 24-74 mph (40-120 km/h) in all built-up areas, 44-74 mph (72-120 km/h) on undivided highways, 60-80 mph (97-129 km/h) on expressways and 60-80 mph (97-129 km/h) on motorways.

Turn on red

Right turn on red lights is allowed unless a sign explicitly forbids it.


It is illegal to drive with blood alcohol content higher than 0.08%.

Driving license

IDP is required

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is required alongside your original license. IDP can be issued by your local automobile association before you leave home.

Rent a car

In order to rent a car:

  • you must be over 25
  • must hold a full license for at least a 1 year
  • almost always have a credit card (Visa & MasterCard are the best)
Alcohol, drugs & prostitution



Although it is legal to purchase or drink alcohol, minimum age requirements still differ across regions. Minimum age to purchase and drink alcohol is 21 years old.


Blood-alcohol limit is 0.08% (0.8g per litre of blood) while driving.


Cannabis is illegal & criminalized at federal level
Federal level

Drugs (including cannabis/marijuana) are illegal & criminalized which means you are risking jail time with other penalties (fine, community service, rehabilitation) if you are caught.

State level

Cannabis is completely legal for personal use in states of Alaska, Colorado, Oregon and Washington.



Prostitution is illegal (in a way of exchanging sex for money). Brothels are illegal.


Emergency numbers

Fire department