United States Travel information

United States

Flag of United States

United States is located in Northern America.

Official language is English. United States uses United States customary system (very similar to imperial - pounds, feet, °F). Time zone is from UTC-10:00 to UTC-05:00 with daylight saving time.

Sockets & plugs

Adapter required, transformer optional

United States uses 120V, 60Hz with sockets and plugs Type A and Type B.

Sockets & plugs - Type A
Type A
Sockets & plugs - Type B
Type B



$1.00 = 3.20 ILS, 1.00 ILS = $0.31

United States uses the United States dollar (symbol: $), code USD.

Banknotes come in denominations of 100, 50, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 dollars. Dollar is subdivided into 100 cents. Coins come in denominations of 1, ½ and ¼ dollars and 10, 5 and 1 cents.

Credit & debit cards

Widely accepted

Credit cards are widely accepted within United States (at hotels, shops, and restaurants, travel agencies, car-rental agencies etc.). Discover, Maestro, MasterCard and Visa are the most widely accepted. American Express and JCB are less common. Diners Club is pretty rare. RuPay and UnionPay are unknown.


Expected to tip

Tipping is expected in United States since staff depend on tips to supplement their often minimum wages.


Available everywhere

Automatic teller machines (local name: ATM) are everywhere in United States. Pretty much anywhere you look there will be an ATM. United States has one of the highest ATM densities in the world.

You do not need a chip & PIN card to use an ATM — your standard magnetic card will work fine.



22% faster than in Israel

Internet speed in United States is on average 14.2 Mbps which is 22% faster than in Israel (11.6 Mbps).


WiFi coverage in United States is very high. Most hotels, hostels, cafes, restaurants and bars have it.

Mobile phone

1274% more expensive than in Israel

You can buy a SIM card for about $12.37 (39.67 ILS), which includes 1 GB of data plan. You can choose from 4 telecoms: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile or Verizon Wireless.

Mobile phones

United States uses different GSM mobile networks than Israel so check if your mobile phone supports network technologies in United States .


If you don't want to buy SIM card in United States upon arrival, make sure to check the roaming charges with your telecom provider before your departure so there are no surprises when you return home.

Dial code


To call United States from Israel, dial + or 00 (exit code for Israel), then 1 (the country code for United States), then the area code (without the initial 1) and the local number.

Calling from Israel
+  1 201 1234567
00 1 201 1234567
Local call
1201 1234567

For local calls within United States, start with the area code (with the initial 1). In the case above area code is 201 .

Health & safety


Sexuality, marriage & acceptance

Homosexuality is legal and United States has one of the highest LGBT acceptance rates in the world.

Same-sex couples can be married like everyone else.


There are more options regarding gay venues compared to other countries and can be found in both larger and smaller cities.


No vaccinations are required to enter this country

No vaccinations are required to enter the country, but it is recommended to perform routine immunizations for your protection and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.

Routine immunizations

These apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.

Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B


Road rules

In United States you drive on the right side. Most cars have automatic transmission.

Speed limits

Unless otherwise posted, the speed limits for cars and motorcycles are as follows: 24-74 mph (40-120 km/h) in all built-up areas, 44-74 mph (72-120 km/h) on undivided highways, 60-80 mph (97-129 km/h) on motorways and 60-80 mph (97-129 km/h) on expressways.

Turn on red

Right turn on red lights is allowed unless a sign explicitly forbids it.


It is illegal to drive with blood alcohol content higher than 0.08%.

Driving license

IDP is required

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is required alongside your original license. IDP can be issued by your local automobile association before you leave home.


Emergency numbers

Fire department

Embassy of Israel in United States

3514 International Dr NW, Washington, DC 20008, USA